Specialist College for Science and Mathematics
"The school has made good progress in its development as a specialist college. Specialist status has enabled it to develop the science curriculum and share developments in teaching and learning more widely. Virtually all ambitious specialist targets are met. Support for science and mathematics has been provided in partner primary schools as well as courses for the local community. A specialist college management group allows the school to closely monitor progress in this area." - Ofsted 2008
Royds Hall High School is a Specialist College for Science. This means that we have a particular focus on the subjects of Science and Mathematics. It also means, however, that all other subjects benefit too from the resources that being a Specialist College attract and the constant drive to raise standards for the whole school through promoting excellent teaching and learning.
As a Specialist Science College we aim to:
- Raise attainment and contribute to whole school improvement through high quality innovative approaches to teaching and learning.
- Have a scientifically rich curriculum that embraces all aspects of school life and develop and share good practice across the curriculum.
- Improve post-16 participation in the sciences and provide appropriate learning pathways so that students develop the skills needed to progress into employment, further education/training and higher education according to their individual abilities, aptitudes and ambitions.
- Develop the skills and understanding of teachers, and make imaginative use of new technologies as a means of raising the quality of teaching and learning in science, mathematics and all subjects or the curriculum.
- Be a centre of excellence in scientific, technological, enterprising and an applied learning education and a lead centre in facilitating the developing and sharing of resources and good practice with our local family of schools and the wider community, including business and industry.
- Actively contribute to local, regional and national developments within science and mathematics.